Saturday, January 14, 2012

Wood Toys vs. Plastic Toys?

Recently I was watching an episode of "Kourtney & Kim Take NY", and Kourtney was stating how she feels wooden toys are safer for her son.  So, just because she said that I immediately started registering for wood toys for my soon to be little one.  I thought, wow they must be safer, so I am going to take the safe route!!  Then today when I was out shopping with Krystal, she brought up the point that the wood toys still have paint on them, and how good can that be if the baby is putting that in his/her mouth.  I didn't even really thing about that.  I mean what kind of chemicals are in the paint on these wood toys?  That certainly can't be good for your tot to have in his mouth!!  So I decided to search the web to see what kind of answers I could find on which is safer, wood toys or plastic toys.  And to my shock, I found that both types can be potentially very dangerous.   


I found this amazing website called, www.safbaby.com.  On this website they list reasons why both can be dangerous due to the different chemicals.  They also provide a great list of the safe toys out their for your loved one.  http://www.safbaby.com/12-things-your-child-should-avoid.
Something that I found very interesting, is that even if the toy itself is safe, the packaging used on the toy, could make it potentially dangerous.  Here is a line from their website, "Hides everywhere from plastic toys, mattress covers, shower curtains, rain gear, lunchboxes and so much more. Alarmingly, a very healthy toy may even be packaged in PVC/vinyl, which leeches onto the “healthy” toy."


I was doing some searching on their site and here is one of my favorite sites so far with safe toys.  http://www.greentoys.com/index.html. They're toys are BPA, PVC, and phthalates free.  


What are your thoughts on this topic?  Have any of you found any safe toys that you trust?  








No comments:

Post a Comment