Thursday, February 9, 2012

16 Week Check Up

Last night the hubby and I went to my 16 week doctors appointment.  The doctor went over the first part of our Down Syndrome test results.  At the start of the test, I was at risk of that of a 26 year old.  After the results came in, the risk of down syndrome is now that of a 21 year old.  The doctor said my results were great.  Even though they were great, I know that those results are not always 100% accurate.  My sister-in-law was told that her son had a high chance of having down syndrome, and he was born a perfectly happy, healthy baby! So I am happy but I know you can never be too sure with those results.  At the visit, they drew more blood from me.  I usually always request the same nurse to take my blood because she is so friendly and nice and does it so fast and I never feel a thing.  However last night, I decided to try going with another nurse.  Unfortunately it did hurt and wasn't as quick.  So next time I am definitely sticking to my usual nurse.  We also got to hear the baby's heart beat.  The doctor was having a tough time getting the heart beat because all we heard was the baby moving around A LOT!!! It was so neat to hear the baby moving around like crazy in there.  Once she put the monitor really low on my belly she was able to pick up the heart rate.  So then of course my mind started wandering about the old wives tales, that if you carry your baby low, than its a boy.  So next Friday is the day we will find out for sure, FINALLY!!!  I have been dying to start making my DIY things for baby.  I can't wait to start the baby's mobile and I want to start making some onesies with iron ons. I also wish I learned how to sew.  My hubby's cousin has a sewing machine, and it is my goal to learn how to sew and make our little one a bib and a blanket!!
I am looking forward to tomorrow night, because Jay and I are attending a "new parents" class at my doctors office. I am excited to learn more about what to expect, and I also hope to meet some other new mommies and make some more friends.  Well that is all for now, have a good day! =)

1 comment:

  1. I never realized that risk of down syndrome went up just from age 21 to age 26.. I always thought the risk was equal throughout your 20's and went up closer to 40. So, thank you for that information! I hope you find a nice fabric for the blanket! Remember, fabrics are treated with formaldehyde to keep them from wrinkling so wash it (if possible) before you have to rub your hands all over it... or buy organic cotton :) I look forward to finding out the sex! <3

    ReplyDelete